Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Chocolate No Bake Cookies Are Quick

Photo: The Food Network
Called preacher cookies in Appalachia, rumor has it: When a family saw a preacher on horseback at the base of a mountain riding towards their house, they could make and cool these cookies by the time he climbed up the front pouch to arrive at their door.

Chocolate No Bakes were the first cookies I made by myself as a child. Although we lived far from Appalachia, it seemed like every mom in my neighborhood made them. In grade school, our cafeteria ladies (who were moms) served them to us for lunch sometimes. Not every child ate her green beans (I won't mention any names ... um, Norma Oliver, nor the reason I ate two portions of green beans on Wednesdays), but I don't remember a sixth grader who wouldn't eat his/her No Bake cookie. They travel well, so are a favorite cookie to make for a picnic or holiday. When you crave something rich and sweet, these cookies really hit the spot.

Chocolate No Bake Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1 stick butter (= 4 ounces)
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick oats (I like using 5 minute Old Fashion oats. Both work.)
1/2 cup peanut butter (I like to use crunchy.)

Directions: 

1) Pour the sugar, butter, cocoa powder and milk into a saucepan on a stovetop over the flame. Stir with a wooden spoon.

2) Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes.Keep stirring.


3) Lower the flame (as low as it goes). Stir in the vanilla, salt and oatmeal until smooth and uniform.

4) Finally, stir in the peanut butter. Remove from the heat.

5) Using a tablespoon, scoop and drop the cookie batter onto waxed paper. The batter is very hot, so be careful not to drop any on your skin. If the mixture cools before you get it all out of the saucepan, return it to a burner for another minute, and it will come out clean.

6) Let cool for 20 minutes. The No Bake cookies harden like a candy.

Store in a cookie tin, or Tupperware. Usually a batch disappears lickety quick!

Although not true, the recipe seems so wholesome! Over the years I tried to reduce the butter, or sugar, however it changes the texture of the cookie, so now I just follow the original recipe. Eat them as a once in a while treat. How many of you grew up making these cookies?


You may also enjoy:
Calling All Dog Lovers 
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
About Dad (And Mom) On Father's Day
Door-To-Door Salesmen ... Nearly All Men

4 comments:

  1. I never heard of this recipe, but it sure looks delicious. I could try it, but I can never remember the size or weight of a stick of butter. We don't buy it that way in Australia, it comes in bigger quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, I bet Little Aussie would love helping to make these cookies, I looked the conversion of butter up. 1 stick or 1/2 cup butter is equal to 4 ounces, or 113 grams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece comes at a great time -- right before the holidays, but just in time. In fact, time isn't even an issue with these cookies. How wonderful! I will be making these. Anything w/chocolate beats traditional Christmas cookies no matter how beautifully decorated. And I know my husband will love/hate me for them. He does watch his cholesterol; however, as you say, a once-in-a-while treat to savor.

    Great post, Debra.

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie-Thérèse for letting me know. You made my day! I believe he'll love them. Two of my long-time friends tell me that their husbands love and request these cookies often, so they are husband approved! :)

      Delete