Monday, January 15, 2018

A Humble Pear

A pear makes a delicious snack. Crisp and juicy with some sweetness, it stabilizes your blood sugar in-between meals. There's enough fiber and bulk to stave off hunger. I can't stand being hungry either after I eat a meal ... or a couple of hours before dinner. How annoying! When I need a little extra lunch or something to tide me over until dinner, I like to grab a pear. I don't worry about consuming extra calories as long as I stick to fresh fruits and vegetables as snacks. Often a big pear is enough, but a smear of peanut butter or brie is tasty with it.
Photo: Stylegaze

Pears are 84% water, 15% carbohydrates and about 1% protein/fats. They don't contain as many vitamins or minerals as apples, bananas, or oranges ... only a trace. Pears are mainly healthy due to their high fiber content, which is very good for your digestive tract, and doctors speculate to keep diseases like cancer away. Pears are believed to have hidden benefits that science has yet to understand.

Humans have eaten pears [known as Genus Pyrus, family Rosaceae] since antiquity, and they grow all over the globe. The 5 top growers (in order) include China, Argentina, the United States, Italy, and Turkey.

Free iStock photos
Another benefit of eating pears is, people tend not to be allergic to them. Pears are sometimes given to patients to eat who have lots of other food allergies.


In the fall and winter, I buy pears from street vendors: 2 big pears for $1.00. I buy 6, as they have a long refrigerator crisper drawer life. They last for weeks. Pears will ripen at room temperature and faster if you store them next to a banana. Pears are ripe when the flesh around the stem gives by applying gentle pressure. I once read that a soft pear has more nutrition, but frankly, I prefer it crisp. I will eat any variety of pears but often get Anjou pears. They are plump!

I added walnuts and a few blueberries to ours. The recipe is linked below.

Here's a link to more pear facts and recipes. I'd love to make more rustic pear tarts, but I eat my pears up before thought becomes action. Just like apples, I hear that pears make good cider, which I'm also eager to try!



You may also enjoy:
All About Apples
Oscar Night Munches    
Most Daily Vitamins Are Worthless
The Five Second Rule For Food Is Untrue

7 comments:

  1. Some interesting facts here Debbie. I enjoy pears too when they are in season. Often we only get hard ones which have been in long storage, not so nice. I like them in a salad, but have never tried a pear tart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The subject reminds me that sometimes very simple things are the best! Should you visit New York in the future, I will be sure to have a bunch of pears waiting for you. :) Perhaps by that time, I wil have found the cider too.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Debra,
    Yep, we did come back from Costco with fresh pears, as usual. We have them for lunch and it is so good and healthy.
    If people only would add some more fresh fruits to their daily diet, it solves lots of problems.
    It mainly is the sugar consumed throughout the day that causes lots of healthy issues. Fresh fruit is far better.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariette, good to have your thoughts again, as I remember the end of last year was especially busy for you!

      I agree with you totally. Nowadways it's not a sacrafice to eat fruit and healthy food instead of sugar. I don't crave sugar as I once did. A little goes a long way!

      Delete
  3. It’s really a great post..I would like to appreciate your work and I am going to recommend it to my friends. Thanks for sharing. You can also read about yoga:- https://7pranayama.com/benefits-ajwain/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, genesiswilliam. Come again!

      Delete