Sunday, February 24, 2019

My Favorite Academy Award Dresses 2019

All photos courtesy of Harpers Bazzar and Getty images   

Here are the dresses which caught my eye at this year's Academy Awards. Several that didn't make my list (worn by Emilia Clark and Michelle Yeoh) shimmered and looked beautiful on television, but didn't photograph well. Jason Momoa and Lisa Bonet win the award for cutest couple of the evening.

As I look over my selected 10 I notice my practical side emerges: Each dress can be worn again to other galas (which isn't a requirement). Also I do not like to see in between breasts; not that I'm scandalized by it, I simply don't like the look. Moreover, there's nothing wrong with wearing a fun gown, but an Oscar goer should also aim to look glamorous that evening. What if you don't go again? It's your one chance to shine!

My 10 picks are feminine, timeless and flatter the wearer:

1) Marina De Tavira wearing a stunning red Reem Acra gown; 2) Tessa Thompson in a classic black with silver glitter Chanel dress; 3) Amy Adams wearing a shimmering Darren Le Gallo dress,; 4) Tina Fey in a can-never-go-wrong sapphire Vera Wang dress; 5) Letitia Wright wearing a Dior Haute Couture dress; 6) Helen Mirren looking lovely in a pink Schiaparelli gown; 7) Laura Dern in a shapely Rodarte dress; 8) Jason Momoa & Lisa Bonet look adorable in their matching pink Fendi Couture by Karl Lagerfeld outfits; 9) Leslie Bibb in an oo la la pretty lace champagne-colored ??? gown; and finally 10) Elaine Welteroth wearing a darling Celia Kritharioti dress. Click here for a closer look at the dresses.

There ... I published my Oscar list for 2019 before seeing what others think! Which gowns do (or did) you like on the red carpet?


You may also enjoy:

4 comments:

  1. These are all lovely - I just started watching it 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show just finished here. I got the blog up so fast, I had to go back to catch my typos. I didn't want to be influenced by all the best dressed lists out tomorrow. I can't wait to hear your favorites, Trish!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Debbie,
    Don't watch the Oscars as we both don't appreciate our Hollywood 'stars'... They mis-represent the U.S.A. abroad in such a negative way that they lost all our respect. SORRY!
    We found out about this embarrassing truth while working and living in foreign countries!
    Often we have defended the USA as being a country with nice and kind people that do NOT live like in those Hollywood movies.
    We also would score very low in any discussion about movies in general so it is wasted time for us.
    Personally I like the center dress in the 2nd row from your above pictures.
    Both elegant and decent looking.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marietta, I understand why. The center one is ladylike and classic, so it would never look dated or go out of style. Of course since it is my list of favorites, I like all of them. I think the last blue gown would be especially fun to wear. I would hope those feather-inspired things would shake, move and shimmer lightly as one walked.

      Delete