Thursday, June 25, 2020

Dry Nonfat Milk Is A Worthy Pantry Staple

Dry nonfat milk has many uses in cooking and baking, making it a good value. With a scoop, you can add protein to foods without having to adjust other ingredients as you would if using liquid milk. It's delicious added to a bowl of microwaved (1 minute, or 5 minute) Quaker oatmeal. I put dry powdered milk into bread and cake recipes. I also make Greek yogurt and smoothies with it. In addition, I buy a gallon of regular milk, but if I run out before I can get to the store, I use dry powdered milk in my coffee, or to drink. Naturally, fresh milk tastes better. But an ice-cold glass of reconstructed dry powdered milk is relatively good and tastes much better than having no milk to drink!

Some customers can find dry powdered milk cheaper than regular milk, not true in Manhattan, yet it is still a worthy staple to stock. Not sure why, but I have this unfounded fear of running out of milk. Dry nonfat milk never sours, and it keeps a long time.

From Walmart, I often order two 4 pound bags at once. During our pandemic, I was happy to have it in the pantry. Here are two recipes dry nonfat milk works well for:
I ate half warm before pouring it into a container to chill. Delish!

Rich Chocolate Pudding

Ingredients:

10 tablespoons instant nonfat milk
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Up to 1/4 cup of sugar (I try to reduce sugar when possible.)
2 cups of water
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Directions:

1) Whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan cold.

2) Turn on the heat on the stovetop and whisk continuously until it boils.

3) Whisk while the mixture simmers and thickens. This takes 4 - 5 minutes of simmering.

4) Pour into dessert dishes and refrigerate.

Creamy Whipped Topping

Ingredients:

1/3 cup ice-cold water
1/2 cup of nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar

Directions:

1) Pour ice-cold water in a mixing bowl.

2) Add the dry milk. Beat at high speed with a mixer until it stands in peaks. A tip: Chill the beaters and bowl before starting for the best results.

3) Add the sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat, beat, beat until firm.

4) Chill and top pudding and desserts.

I will drink soy, oat, or almond milk, but in my home, I prefer cow's milk.

I like having items in my pantry so if I wish to make a dish, I don't have to run to the store first -- I never have to fetch a box of pudding mix, or whipped topping as I can reach for ingredients in my pantry to make them myself ... usually cheaper and I know what's in it. 


You may also enjoy:
The Food Revolution
All About Cocoa Powder
Digestive Biscuits Vs Marie Biscuits
9 Ways To Save Money At The Supermarket

No comments:

Post a Comment