Thursday, June 4, 2020

A Blueberry Crumble Day

Photo: nutmegnanny.com
Today I will satisfy a craving for blueberry crumble. There are several fruit and batter desserts that are alike. A crumble has a little oatmeal in the streusel topping.

So in a nutshell what are the differences between 7 similar fruit desserts?: A crumble has a streusel topping made of butter, all-purpose flour, oats and sometimes nuts, and it is baked in an oven. crisp is a crumble with no oatmeal or nuts (and yet people confuse it with a crumble). A cobbler is fruit topped with biscuit dough usually of all-purpose flour. A buckle has a greater cake to fruit ratio, a fruit coffee cake if you will. And finally, a brown Betty is made with bread crumbs and brown sugar. (I'd eat a brown Betty, but have never made one.) A grunt (aka slump) contains all-purpose flour and the ingredients of a cobbler or crumble, yet is made in a skillet on the stovetop, so it steams, as opposed to, bakes in an oven. As it steams it can grunt. I almost always go for a crumble. Here's the recipe:

Blueberry Crumble

Ingredients:

Blueberry preparation
16 oz fresh (or frozen) blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice (or squeeze 1/2 of a lemon)
a sprinkle of salt
Chopped nuts are optional.
πŸ’ŸπŸ’™πŸ’œ
Streusel topping
1/2 cup (1 minute or 5 minute) oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 - 4 tablespoons butter (One stick has 8 tablespoons. I use as little as I can get away with, but use up to 4 tablespoons for a good streusel texture and flavor.)
a sprinkle of salt

Directions:

1) Mix the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, flour and salt.

2) Pour into a buttered square or round 9" pie baking pan.

3) In a mixing bowl combine the next 6 streusel topping ingredients and mix well. You can work the butter into the flour with your fingers if you wish. 

4) Distribute the streusel topping evenly over the blueberry mixture.

5) Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 - 35 minutes. The blueberry mixture will bubble and the streusel topping will start to brown.

Remove from the oven and eat warm. Some people like to add a scoop of ice cream or whipping cream, but I eat it as is.


You may also enjoy: 
Lemon Squares Light 
Intense Orange Julius
Easy Low Fat Ice Cream   
Creole Bread Pudding With Bourbon Sauce

3 comments:

  1. I think you forgot the flour amount for the blueberry mixture. Should it be 1 1/2 TB or 2 TB? I looked up other recipes and they varied in the amount of flour for this step.
    Theresa in Tucson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,

      Welcome to the blog. Happy you are here!

      To tell you the truth, I did forget and made my crumble without the flour in the blueberry mixture; and oddly enough, didn't miss the flour as the fruit part wasn't runny. The texture seemed thick enough, but I bet adding the 1-2 tablespoon(s) of four does give the fruit filling a creaminess. Next time I make this crumble I'll put the flour into the fruit mixture for comparison. If it makes the crumble even better, I'll return here to fix my recipe. As you might have noticed, I made extra streusel topping than necessary, and perhaps this absorbed the blueberries from juices so the crumble didn't seem runny.πŸ™‚

      Feel free to always comment to check me. I like to get recipes as perfect as possible. I have feeling crumbles are more forgiving than rising baked goods. I tend to favor them since you can make a little, or a lot easily!

      Delete
    2. Please dismiss the word "from" near the end of the 1st paragraph, to read "… perhaps this absorbed the blueberry juices, so the crumble wasn't runny." What flour does to a liquid is thicken it, the more flour added, the thicker the liquid becomes. Thankfully, my crumble was fine without the extra flour in the fruit mixture.

      Delete