Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Breakfast Quinoa Cereal Bowl

Photo: FreshOfftheGrid

Frankly, breakfast isn't my favorite meal. As long as I consume some sort of protein, I don't care what sits before me alongside my big cup of coffee with milk. I could just drink several cups of coffee with milk and be satisfied. But in the interest of balanced nutrition, I often add a protein cookie or bar. (Oddly enough I favor a savory breakfast of eggs, sausage (or bacon) and biscuits over sweet options despite not being the healthiest breakfast.)

When I was a young child, I wouldn't eat breakfast, so my worried parents made me drink a tall glass of hot chocolate milk (using Hersey's cocoa) and told me I had to drink it before taking me to school. Later they replaced the cocoa with Carnation Instant Breakfast, a product they found at the supermarket. I drunk breakfast in a glass from grade school until I graduated from college and into my 30s if I'm being honest.😁

And yet as an adult, I'm committed to eating healthy food over junk and not skipping breakfast. So, I try to work whole grains, as well as, rotate healthy foods into my diet throughout the week.

So here's a tasty breakfast cereal that takes no time to cook. You can also vary the ingredients, so it's not the exact same breakfast every time you eat it:

My Breakfast Quinoa Cereal Bowl - one serving (and easy to double, or triple, etc.)

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Quinoa
A handful of mixed nuts, chopped - walnuts, almonds, pistachio, pecans, etc. 
A splash of milk
1 teaspoon of chia seeds
1 tablespoon of any other multi-grains you have in your pantry, such as Buckwheat or bulgur, etc.
Sweetener of your choice - maple syrup; brown sugar syrup; Golden Syrup; a spoon of brown sugar; honey
Dash of cinnamon

Optional: Fruit of your choice - blueberries, apple, peaches, strawberries

Directions:

1) Toss the quinoa into a saucepan with water. Bring to a simmer. 

2) If you do add another whole grain requiring cooking time, toss it in with the quinoa

3) Top with a lip and simmer on medium/low heat for about 13 minutes until the grains are tender. Sprinkle in some cinnamon.

2) You can toast your nuts -- they taste better if you do, yet I often don't. Chop the nuts coarsely on a cutting board and set aside.

Photo: SMEstreet
3) After the quinoa is tender, turn off the heat and toss in the rest of the ingredients: the nuts, chia seeds, milk (as much or as little as you like), or yogurt, sweetener and optional fruit.

4) Stir and pour into a cereal bowl.

A protein boost in a bowl with different textures without much fess. As a bonus only one pot and a bowl to clean up! Unless you simply wait for your pot to cool, that is.🙂

On weekends try this non-alcoholic tisane punch too:


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment