Wednesday, November 4, 2020

That Hermès or Chanel Bag Vibe For Less

Top: Hermès Birkin; bottom Hermès Kelly bags

Full disclosure: In shops, I love looking and touching Hermès and Chanel handbags as much as any of the luxury bag fashionistas on Youtube. So I know them well. However, purses are not my luxury temptation. While I'm attracted to the undeniable quality and beauty of the Chanel Classic Double Flap; Hermès Kelly; Hermès Birkin; and Chanel CC Trendy WOC in that order, personally, I would never, ever spend $3,100, $7,100, or $9,000 to $40,000+ on one bag. It's nuts! And the Previously Loved Market, costing 1,000s of dollars per bag, is still too high. I don't care enough about owning Hermès or Chanel to part with the money. Honestly if Walmart or Target came out with a decent enough bag, I'd take it to meet the English Queen or the Bidens, America's next President and First Lady. Plus tell everybody who asked where I bought the bag as I would not care!

If you ... like me, appreciate the uber-expensive bags, yet are ok with a vibe and leather for less purchase, the following inspired bags (as opposed to Doppelgängers) give you enough of the look and craftsmanship to last over time without infringing upon the legal copyrights of the designer brands. Some of the lookalikes are still pricey ... yet sell for way under $1,000:

1) For a Hermès Birkin consider the _______.*1 BTW: A Berkin is the top bag of all bags designed to hold its value.

2) In lieu of a Hermès Kelly look at the _______.*2 With your savings, you could buy a car!

3) For the top-selling bag in the world, the Chanel Double Flap, you might like Rebecca Minkoff. The quilted pattern is a Chevron in luscious black leather with gold hardware. Best of all, you keep $6,900 in the bank!

4) For a Chanel WOC peruse the Nobrand - Instead of a wallet on a chain, Nobrand is a small evening bag, not a wallet, but if you think about it, a small purse is much more practical since you can fit more essentials inside. A slim size for gala events of genuine leather for under $45. Heck, with $3,05o in savings, you could take a taxi home to save your heels, or have an extra drink and skip the driving!

5) In place of a Chanel WOC, or small Chanel Flap bag, examine the Coach Klare Crossover With Linear Quilting - My favorite, it has the black (full-grain Nappa) leather with gold hardware of a classic Chanel bag that we know so well and love!
Coach Klare Crossover 

Coach is a top-notch luxury grade brand of leather goods and a great value. IMO, the Klare Crossover -- although having a different interior and strap -- looks as rich and beautiful as Chanel bags. 

If you wish to find even cheaper alternative bags, they are on the market too, usually made of vegan leather and less durable for fleeting needs. The 5, revised to 3 leather inspired examples I've selected cost more than vegan leather, last longer ... and often go on sale! The choice is yours.

_________________________
*1 &2 Update Nov. 9, 2020: 

Dear Readers,

Sometimes blogging leads to surprising reactions. As Hermès bag alternatives, I recommended you buy the leather bags of a company who, then wrote me a lovely email asking me to remove their brand name from my post. The marketing manager explained they spent so much time, effort and money distancing themselves from Hermès bags to position their company as an independent brand. With sensitivity to the retailer, I've revised the blog removing all mentions of their brand name and bag photos. THE SAVVY SHOPPER wishes this now omitted fine leather bag maker a bright and fashion-forward future.

My follow-up research on Hermès alternatives is complete! For a follow-up blog (and new Hermès' bag vibe recommendations, go here.

 

You may also enjoy:

3 comments:

  1. It is lovely to look isn't it Debbie. I think the turquoise bag is simply gorgeous. Even Coach bags are very expensive here - I think it is import duty or something. Shopping duty free when travel is something Australians like to do. I definitely like the faux Chanel bags you share. Happy shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know gorgeous when we see it, don't we Trish? It will be more like happy looking, as opposed to, happy shopping for me in the foreseeable future. But I do enjoy the browse! I'm still be using these purses for awhile: https://thesavvvyshopper.blogspot.com/2019/05/an-organized-purse.html.

      Delete
  2. Hi Debra! I am the PR Rep for Teddy Blake and would love to get in contact with you. Can you please email at geena@teamchicexecs.com? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete