Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Let's Be Grateful This Thanksgiving


In the world of hard knocks, COVID has reminded us of what we intuitively know but don't always let inform our actions. The world is interconnected. Whether we're talking about a disease, healthcare, global warming, or sharing the earth's resources, we need to look after each other to survive. If you simply care for yourself, eventually everybody parishes. 

Humans are basically good ... and selfish. "Love one another" is hard to follow sometimes, isn't it? Because emotions, insecurity and selfishness creep in. Yet if we only tend to our own tiny bubble everyone suffers. When COVID dies in 2021, I hope we keep its "We're all in it together" lessons. The year has been tough, but I'm grateful for the red flag of "must-do" some things better for humans and our country and world.
No turkey this year. I'm thinking: a chicken breast, cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes and broccoli. 
Personally, I think President-Elect Joe Biden is setting the right compassionate tone backed by science and facts to lead our country. I'm grateful for the experience and leadership he shows. When I was still in school I was a Congressional intern in Washington, DC and I remember the talk of Biden as a young Senator who was raising his two young boys alone after the tragic car crash of his 1st wife. Sometimes I sat in the Senate balcony with the Congressional press watching floor votes and can remember where Biden sat next to another young Senator Gary Hart and not far away from Senator Ted Kennedy. Once I was sent down to the chambers beside the floor to deliver a note to my boss and of course, delighted, I took in as much as I could of the activity at eye level. So Biden comes to office with a wealth of Washington government experience which should be good in leading the country. I am grateful for his relationships, character, empathy, and experience.

What a quiet Thanksgiving for those of us who won't be traveling to see family, or joining nor inviting friends over for dinner. Yes, the loneliness sets in.

At times how we handle stresses and calamities define us, right? A wise quote I read recently comes from becomingmininalist:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Be patient and vigilant a little bit longer. Stay healthy friends!!旅


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Debra. I hope the Biden Presidency is healing for your country.
    PS We are going to Sydney to see the twins - the borders are opening! For how long, we do not know, so we are taking a chance and going fast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trish! I hope you and Mr. C have a wonderful trip with no trouble either way. Stay safe, my friend!

      Delete