Thursday, January 14, 2021

How To Layer In Winter

All images courtesy of LL Bean - usually I must hunt for photos, but LL Bean did the work for me for this blog.
Due to global warming, Manhattanites haven't had long, frigid winters in about a decade. Oddly enough, sometimes we have a 22 degree F day followed by a 52 degree F day in the same week. In the 1980s Upper East Side women wore mink coats from December through April. (I used to shiver as I walked by in my wool coat and scarf! Stylish as it was, I was cold!) The mink has been replaced with goose down coats ... yet more often than not, with wool or goose down jackets! But in places still experiencing polar winds and arctic temperatures, people need to master the art of layering to stay warm and comfortable ... and it's good information for all of us who live in a winter climate.

In researching the topic I learned an interesting fact: Your biggest problem isn't getting cold, it's staying dry ... i.e., not getting too hot and sweaty, which in extreme cold can be a symptom of hypothermia, a life-threatening condition that can strike in 5 minutes as your body temperature falls too low. If you start sweating in extreme cold, you need to quickly shed layers to survive. I didn't know this!😳

So let's learn from the experts the correct way to layer to keep hypothermia at bay. According to LL Bean (and confirmed by other sources), when temperatures hit subzero wear a: 
1) Base layer - made of silk, wool or polyester - The 1st layer is designed to keep your skin dry, which helps keep you warm. The base layer wicks (or moves) moisture (sweat) away from your skin as you engage in activity (i.e., move, walk, climb).
2) Middle layer - This is your insulating layer to hold in the heat generated by your body. Select wool, midweight fleece or synthetic fabrics like polyester.
3) Outer Layer - Keeps wind and water out and body heat in. A nylon shell or jacket to fit over your base and middle layers will do the job. Nowadays people tend to wear a puffer coat of goose down feathers with a nylon or polyester shell -- as it works.

LL Bean is headquartered in Maine, and I'm featuring them for this topic because winter wear is their business. Likewise for competitors, Landsend and newer budget-friendly Uniqlo. I think you should always buy products from merchants who specialize the product area, not designers who branched into the market, unless they take the time to truly learn it.

Fortunately, I live in relatively mild winters, or I would have died by now since I have never before researched the right way to layer for winter. Now I realize years ago I didn't wear a nylon 3rd layer ... and that's why I froze! Knowing what each layer does makes keeping warm and comfortable a certainty!


You may also enjoy:

4 comments:

  1. The first time I went to New York was in 1998, and I saw quite a few mink or other fur coats - for the first time in my life! We have no call for them in our hot climate. But as you say, on more recent visits to the UK or North America, we rarely see the fur now. It was interesting to see the description of correct layering - on the several times I have been in extremely sub-zero and heavy snow in Canada, I actually wear four layers, but it works on much the same principle. When we spent Christmas 2017 in Ottawa it was -25c on average, well below zero, but I never shivered even when out walking. I think the essential is a warm scarf around the neck, a face cover, plus a knitted cloche hat under a hood. And warm socks and fur lined boots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, Trish! When I was a child, my mother stressed wearing a hat, scarf and proper winter shoes with wool socks. It never gets cold enough in Manhattan to own wool socks. I might one pair somewhere.

      Canada gets extremely cold! The closest we come to it in the USA is in Minnesota, Maine, Vermont and Chicago. In Chicago, it's the winds blown off the Great Lakes that make it bitter cold. Canada gets even colder though. In Canada, people must keep extra outerwear for guests who visit but don't know how to dress ... because how and why would you know if you don't live in such a cold climate? How adaptable humans are!

      Delete
    2. In the early 2010's- the quilted outer layers became very popular among the chic folks around New York in the winters. I never went that route- stayed with the puffer outer layers though I did get a quilted style Barbour vest with lots of pockets (very important!!!) to wear under a Barbour waxed coat. But, yes doing different layers is essential. With Covid 19 and outdoor eating-this will be an important topic.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Barry. I didn't even connect layering with outdoor eating during COVID! But right you are!

      Delete