Monday, October 14, 2019

Trendy Faux Fur Coats

All photos: Nordstrom - Apparis Sophie faux fur coat
THE SAVVY SHOPPER is fashion heavy this month since designers launch their fall collections. As I browse department stores and Madison Avenue windows I see how trendy faux fur coats and jackets are this fall. Every fashion house seems to have faux fur in their collection! 

Know that the price is not always cheaper than real animal furs, nor the fad necessarily better for the environment. The reasons are a couple: Many big designer names make faux fur out of acrylic and polyester -- synthetic fibers constructed from plastics, which take 500 - 1000 years to biodegrade. Another reason is real fur lasts for 60 - 70 years and can be recycled by passing them down to a younger generation to wear. Here is a worthwhile article to read which explains the real fur verses fake fur dilemma.
Designers: 1) Bardot; 2) Avec les Filles animal print; 3) Sam Edelman; 4) Rachel Parcell grooved jacket

When I was in my 20s I thought for a benchmark (50? or 60? year) birthday I'd buy a mink coat to keep warm, but after I got my goose down coat, the need and desire for mink evaporated. Also winters in America are less harsh than years ago. How many days would I actually wear it? Fortunately my practice is to let myself want big ticket items for a while. Too often instant gratification results in money spent unwisely on wasted purchases

But frankly, I still think fur coats look rich and stylish, but I'm a practical gal (over an image gal) who tends to buy goods based on needs, as well as, sustainability.
Topshop boxy faux fur coat
Originally faux fur appeared to be a great compromise, and I'm still tempted to buy a faux fur neck wrap/warmer to get the mink look. (No way do I need another winter coat of any kind.)
Teddy faux fur coat designed especially for Nordstrom
Considering the faux fur dilemma, should I buy a neck wrap? Doing the right thing means weighing benefits and drawbacks.  Now I'm not as hot to buy one. Hm, what will I do if it stares me in the face at T.J. Maxx? How do you feel about faux fur?


You may also enjoy:
Nasty Gal For Edgy Clothes   
Visit Victoria's Secret's Hidden Museum
SAV's Fashion Show On Madison Avenue  
The Case For Cheaper Casual Smart Dresses 

7 comments:

  1. What an interesting point you make about real Vs faux fur. A few years ago it was possible to buy real furs in charity shops here, as they became so unpopular and fake fur was encouraged. Of course in our climate, which is getting warmer, it is rare you need to wear such a warm coat. However a few years ago I made myself a fun leopard print jacket in cheap polyester fur. It was shocking to work with, but I managed it and it is nice to wear about once a year! I think it will outlive me ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I wish we were neighbors. I'd love to see all the cute things you make, Trish! Your leopard print jacket sounds adorable!

      I have a black leopard, cashmere, cardigan sweater (black on one side, and black leopard print in the reverse side, which I can wear either way). I got it on sale very cheap at the end of a winter a several years ago. But our climate is so mild lately, I have rarely worn it. I guess with animal prints so trendy this year, I have another chance!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Debbie,
    Still being very happy with my real mink coat, a gift from a dear friend!
    Wearing it around Christmas when the wind coming form the north (arctic cold) sweeps almost through your soul. There is nothing that keeps you warmer!
    Synthetic fabrics and shoes are a lot worse for the environment indeed!
    Also love my Outlet score of an Escada hair-calf print skirt; that feels so good around your hips and legs. It will last for my lifetime and it can be recycled after that... Leopard and tiger print will always be in demand.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Mariette, what a generous friend! Lucky you to have such a friend with a good heart and sense of style!!

      Oh your Escada calf print skirt sounds very chic ... and warm! And with a pair of your chic boots!

      I hope to see furs return to thrift stores. They already exist so who does it help to toss them?

      Glad you stopped by ... hugs back to you too!

      Debbie

      Delete
  3. I don't own a fur coat, "vrai" or "faux", only because I feel I am too small to carry off anything bulky, so I stick with a classic wool coat and add layers underneath and colorful scarves for warmth. I have a weakness for soft, leather kid gloves in beautiful colors. If I lived in Alaska, I would definitely own a fur coat, but it never really gets cold enough in New Jersey and New York, where I spend most of my time, to justify buying a fur coat.

    Excellent information in this well-researched post, Debra. Thank you.

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie-Thérèse, I share your sentiment: If I lived in Alaska or Siberia, I'd cover myself from head to toe in animal furs out of necessity. But I've never been a status fur person.

      To me it seems like New York City doesn't experience the long cold winters I remember when I first moved here. New Yorkers I've had the conversation with agree with me. And now you confirm it too. If anything, I've become even less status symbolish as I've gotten older. Uniqlo has spoiled me. I love their lifewear clothes for less. Simple yet stylish and warm in winters! The retailer should hire me as a spokesperson as I'm always writing blogs about their launches. Dear Uniqlo, you will not find a more enthusiastic groupie than yours truly!

      Delete