Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Farewell Travers Fine Jewelers on Madison Avenue

These smart phone photos don't do the jewelry justice.
Recently I discovered one of my favorite shops on Madison Avenue, Travers Fine Jewelers, closed it's doors for good. Although much more high end than I can afford, I loved looking at its fine jewelry, and once partner, Sam Travers, let me try on a gorgeous oval stone ring I long admired! It was a Ceylon 12 carat sapphire and 14 solitaire diamond ring ... in fact a stunning replica of Diana, Princess of Wales' engagement ring that her son, Prince William, gave to fiancΓ©e, Kate Middleton upon their engagement. As you see, the shop also had the matching lookalike sapphire and diamond necklace and earrings Diana often wore, as well as, many fine diamonds, Burmese rubies, Colombian emeralds, Tahitian South Sea pearls, elegant watches and a variety of other beautiful necklaces, bracelets, earrings and rings. Is it any wonder I gawked at the shop's window display every time I passed?

Although the jewelry was beyond my budget (by 6 figures!), it was fun to see what flawless, top-of-the line stones look like.
This is the 12 carat sapphire and diamond ring I tried on. I love it! One of the partners once said he had sold it, but he was joshing!😍
Occasionally, I'd tease the partners by saying: "Oh, you're selling the sapphire and diamond ring I want to buy!!"πŸ™‚ At times they'd come to the front door of the shop to promise me a good price, to which I'd reply, "When I get my invitation to the Met Gala, I'll be back!"
Since the shop has closed, it appears I'm not the only person to have no society events where I could wear such lavish and expensive pieces of jewelry. I mean, where can I go? To the grocery store? Up and down Madison Avenue? Down into the subways? I think not!πŸ™

It's a tough time for brick and mortar stores. Travers Fine Jewelers is the 3rd retailer on the Upper East Side to close recently. Pier 1 shut its doors in late summer; and another of my favorites, Laytners (for home goods) is closing up shop after 31 years. All 3 businesses added to the milieu of my neighborhood, and they will be greatly missed. 
Whenever I walked by Travers, I looked for MY 12 carat sapphire and diamond ring. I always thought, "One day somebody will walk in to buy it. Unfortunately it will be somebody else, not me." :((( Philosphically speaking, I suppose I was spared the pain of losing it. But now the window is bare, the store empty and the glitter is gone.


You may also enjoy:
In My Jewelry        
Emerald A Timeless Stone   
The Gemstone Chrome Diopside
A London Topez Is A Dazzling Gemstone

6 comments:

  1. Oh I am sorry you favourite jewellery shop is gone. I remember you trying that gorgeous sapphire ring! It is happening all over, the loss of the bricks and mortar stores. Yesterday I went to my local mall and it was a sad place - so many good shops gone, boarded up, or replaced with junk merchandise. The internet has a lot to answer for!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, in Brisbane too! Certain items are hard to shop for online ... and much more fun to see and touch LIVE!

      I feel sad for the jewelers as their pieces were so beautiful! The home goods store closure will be a major hardship for me!

      Delete
  2. I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work! jewelry az

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I can see, the image showcases sapphire collection, my favorite gemstones. Thanks for sharing this quick guide with us.

    engagement rings for women
    diamond solitaire rings
    online jewellery store

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome here, Naksh! Sapphires are my favorites too and these were as big and beautiful as Diana of Wales' collections. Much fun to see.

      Delete