Monday, January 11, 2021

Wear Rubber Earring Backs

If our global pandemic wasn't stressful enough ... early on I had an additional scare. After an afternoon of running errands I returned home to notice the metal back of one of my earrings was missing with the now loose earring dangling and ready to fall out of my ear. While running from place to place, the elastic the goes around my ears to hold my face mask on had pulled on the earring enough to yank its back out of my ear ... and in another beat, gravity would have claimed the earring too. What a fright!😱

I don't wear fashion earrings and hope to keep the few real gold ones I own over a lifetime. And, I stopped wearing earrings that week out of fear ... but then I thought of a solution to secure those earrings. Heck, these days due to wearing face masks, I'm not wearing makeup. Must I give up earrings too!?! No way, it's all too much.😎🙂

So here's the solution: For $5 - $6 you can buy more rubber earring backs than you'll ever need. So snug, they secure your earrings better than the metal backings that come with many earrings. You can either leave the metal backs off, or double secure your earrings with both the metal and rubber tube backs. Almost nothing will then yank your earrings out of your ears! 

I feel lucky to only lose a backing (it was a sterling silver earring lift) and not the gold earring, itself -- so a 2nd chance to find and share a solution! Keep a few rubber backs in your jewelry box to secure all your earrings! And, if they come free with the earrings you buy, don't toss them out! They are much too valuable!!


You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, that was a close call. This little thingies are a life-saver! A friend introduced me to them about 10 years ago, and I always have a supply. Previous to that, I had twice lost 'real' pearl studs. So pleased you found this little guys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh losing one earring is frustrating, Trish! Its lonely mate ends up in your jewelry box because you can't wear it and don't want to throw it out. :(

      Delete