Thursday, January 7, 2021

Umami: A Sense of Taste

Step into my kitchen, friends😋.
Umami is one of the 5 basic tastes scientists agree humans have. (We may have a 6th sense of taste, yet 5 is the universal consensus.) The other 4 are sweet, bitter, salty, and sour. [Kikunae is the name of the 6th sense of taste - a richness or roundness that heightens and prolongs the other 5. Example slow roasted meat vs microwaved meat.] The word "umami" is Japanese, and it literally means "deliciousness."  It is best described as ''a pleasant savory taste" and is common in Asian cuisines. The taste comes from glutamic acid -- a common amino acid in vegetable and animal proteins. (Source: Healthline)

It turns out I love umami (in fact, since childhood over "sweet" before I knew its name). Fortunately, many foods with an umami flavor are healthy choices. They include miso and seaweed, aged cheeses, kimchi (
the Korean pickled cabbage), seafood, mushrooms, and in lesser amounts: green peas, tomatoes, corn, garlic, and potatoes. I love all of these foods! A favorite snack of mine [from childhood] is extra sharp cheddar cheese on saltine crackers or pumpernickel bread ... and I could eat them until they come out of my ears.🙂

A couple of New Years ago I blogged about my aim to replace canned soup with homemade soup. This I do, and now canned soups taste bland to me!

Moreover, sometimes we need a quick meal, so I have a recipe for fast homemade soup made on the spot without forethought or the luxury of time -- jazzed up umami flavored miso soup!

Nowadays most supermarkets carry tubs of miso paste for about $6 - $7 per pound or kilo. It gives family cooks the same convenience as opening a can of soup. And below is how I make it:

Debra's Miso Soup

Ingredients:

Water, about 2 cups
Dried seaweed, a handful
Frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, corn, lima beans, carrots and peas), a handful
If I feel like it, I also toss in a fresh diced carrot, celery, garlic, and onion
1 - 1.5 tablespoons miso paste (i.e., to taste)

Directions:

1) I fill a big soup bowl to about 3/4 full with cold water. Sprinkle in some dried seaweed, as well as, frozen and/or fresh vegetables.

2) Microwave the mixture for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

areas of taste
3) Remove from the microwave and dissolve 1 - 1.5 tablespoons of miso paste into the mixture. The reason you wait to add the miso paste is you don't want to kill off the probiotics in miso by cooking it in the microwave. Miso paste doesn't need cooking, but easily dissolves in hot water.

Voilà tasty homemade umami flavored soup in minutes ... about as fast as canned soup! If you have leftover cooked chicken, beef, or wish to dice up tofu ... you can add protein to your soup. Or, make a meat, cheese, or peanut butter sandwich for a soup and sandwich dinner on fast-food night. Enjoy!


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment