Thursday, April 13, 2023

#Shorts: A Red Wine Boldness Chart

Although red wine is my alcoholic beverage of choice, I only drink a glass occasionally if I host a dinner or join friends at a restaurant. The exception is during the summer, I will sometimes have a glass of wine with a cheese and fruit platter as Sunday dinner. Unfortunately, as we grow older we have to watch our calories, and I'd rather eat than drink.

But when I do have a glass of wine, I enjoy it. I tend to drink Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Melbac and I try to avoid wines too rich in tannins - organic substances in grape skins and seeds that can make wine taste bitter or acidic, perhaps also described as sharp or bold. The tannins in wine give it health benefits, but if you don't enjoy the wine, what's the point of consuming it?

Another consideration, a bolder wine tastes delicious paired with heavy food such as a big thick steak, while lighter wines, sometimes called drinking wines, are perfect with appetizers.🧀

The above Wine Boldness Chart by Wine Folly is a handy-dandy guide when selecting wine. In my decades of life, I've tasted at least 9 on the chart ... plus whatever mystery wines I've sampled at wine tastings and can't remember.

I hope you find the chart useful!🍷


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment