Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Christmas Decorations Are Up

When decorating a room, it is as important to have empty space as it is to bring the right pieces of furniture into it. The most expensive (or festive) object looks cluttered without the proper amount of space framing it.

I'm lucky to live in a nice apartment in Manhattan, but it isn't big, and it doesn't face the street side of the building, so I've always just decorated my golden pothos (epipremnum aureus) plant in lieu of dragging a Christmas tree into a spot where there is really no room to display it. Gets the job done! I think of it as my Egyptian hieroglyphics "Christmas tree." Tucked into a corner, it only takes up vertical space; and guests seem to be charmed by it, so that's fun too. By necessity, Manhattanites are creative arrangers and decorators!🌃
Admittedly I do less in recent years, however, other Christmas artifacts are scattered throughout the rest of the apartment. The nutcracker was my first Christmas decoration. Years ago, I bought him for $17 aSaks Fifth Avenue. My friend, Cara Sue, came into town, and we found her similar nutcrackers at the dollar store for about $3. 

Although not the most church going person in the world, I set out a Nativity Scene. I like to get down to the nitty-gritty of a holiday and remembrance. What's it all about? Striving for better and the hope that the best is yet to come! Go big, or go home. (Who coined the catch-phrase? Answer here.🙂)
Some years I hang out a huge velvet red bow with gold overlay. I like the simple silver bells also. They continue my parents tradition of stringing up silver bell oraments, which dangle over blinking Christmas candolier lights in our front widows. My Dad was so creative. We miss him every day.
The bells hang outside on my front door to cheer folks walking down the hall. When I first moved into my apartment, it was one of many tasteful Christmas motifs and wealths, but newer neighbors (who celebrate) do nothing, so it is the only modest hall decoration on our floor this year. Well, there's a few days left. Forge on people!🎄🔔🐫


You may also enjoy:
The Twelve Days Of Christmas
Christmas Cactus Or Poinsettia?   
This Is My Wish - Jordin Sparks
"There'll Always Be A Christmas," An Album Review

No comments:

Post a Comment