Friday, January 3, 2020

Modest After Christmas Goodies

Usually I take advantage of the after Christmas sales. This year my needs are quite modest which is great for my wallet. I only bought 3 things and am watching to see if prices drop further on a 4th item. Here is what I bought:

1) Colored Christmas lights - (top image) The set I own faded in color, and they only blinked every 13 seconds this year. One day I nearly left my apartment without unplugging them as they take so long to blink I forgot they were on. Time to replace them! After Christmas sale price: $2.49 at Rite-Aide.

2) Christmas Cookie Cutters, Set of 6 - Last year I tossed out my star cutter after I got mad at it. One of its 5 corners was defective, messing up the cookies. Surprisingly buying only a star was too costly, but the set of 6 was 50% off after Christmas, and I like the size of the cookies it makes -- not too big or small, but just right! There are sets of greater quantity, but really do we need to make 30 shapes? In the best of all possible worlds, I'd have an angel instead of a snowman, but that's quibbling. $5 at Sur La Table.
3) Cashmere Scarf - This last purchase was more of a splurge than a need. Tartan patterns are trendy this winter and I liked this checkered pattern over a true Stuart tartan plaid (which was also available) because it's playful yet dressy. I have enough warm scarves already, but hey, not one with pretty fringes. Now I've joined the tartan set! T. J. Maxx, you tempted me yet again, by reducing this soft, well-made $50 cashmere scarf to $19, making it a steal!

4) Next year's Christmas Cards - This last possible purchase could go either way. I have about 25 widows and orphans --  Christmas cards leftover from boxes of cards from Christmases past. I don't know if people remember cards you've sent them before, or not, but as long as the cards are beautiful, so what if they are remembered? Oh, readers should I send out my widows and orphans next year, or not? If prices drop down to 75% off, I might be tempted to buy a fresh design. Tic, toc, tic, toc.

What are you buying this year after Christmas?


You may also enjoy:

4 comments:

  1. I really like your red cashmere scarf, and a bargain price. In Canada I bought something similar at the dollar store - definitely not cashmere, but handy for an Australian who almost never sees cold weather! Always good to have cookie cutters - I have quite the collection. This year bought some wildlife animals on special - squirrel, rabbit, fox etc. Happy New Year, Savvy Shopper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, we only need wools like Cashmere when the weather is cold. It sounds like you found a very practical scarf at a super bargain price which perfectly fit your need. You are a Savvy Shopper, Trish!

      I hope to see your wildlife collection on a future blog.

      Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I really like the scarf and the cookie cutter set. Good finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liberty Belle, I'm glad you like them! Welcome here to THE SAVVY SHOPPER. Happy 2020!

      Delete