Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Sheltering At Home Essentials

Photo: Napa Valley Register
In the New Year I aimed to turn over a new leaf: In lieu of stocking up on supplies, I vowed to buy one, plus one of the common essentials like food, beauty and personal care items, or household cleaners. My reason was: Hey, I live 3 blocks from supermarkets and closer to drugstores, why should I continue to stock up as if I can't get to a store?

Well that was before COVID-19 hit us, and I'm definitely re-assessing the wisdom of that new course of action! My old habit will not change anytime soon!

For 2 months the following much-needed items have been sold out everywhere ... and seemingly they don't get restocked. Thankfully having a small stash at home has saved my butt!:
Photo: Austin Cronicle

  • 70% isopropyl alcohol - I have 2.5 - 32 oz bottles
  • 3% hydrogen periode - 1 - 16 oz bottle
  • Clorex bleach - 1 - gallon bottle, 1 - quart bottle
  • toilet paper - 1 - pack of 12 mega rolls (=48 small rolls) + 3 - individual mega rolls from the old pack
  • 1 - 32 oz liquid soap and about 12 - bars of soap
  • about 6 - mini hand sanatizers to carry in my purse
Fortunately, food has been easier to get. The supermarkets are sometimes out of stock of what you go for ... but you can make substitutions and not starve. Moreover, what helped me before our pandemic started is: 1) knowing exactly what I like and need; 2) buying the biggest package available; and 3) usually restocking before I completely run out. So I had the following in my cupboard but sometimes see an empty grocery shelf now:
  • 64 oz bag of dry powdered milk + part of the old bag
  • 5 lbs of unbleached all-purpose flour
  • half of a 5 lb bag of whole wheat flour
  • 4 lbs of sugar
  • eggs - 2 dozen - I know it sounds crazy but I often buy 2 dozen when they are $1.99 each, which I did right before the pandemic. In the refrigerator, they never go bad on me. Good for puddings, cakes, bread, egg drop soup, tuna salad, french toast and snacks. They get eaten! Now they rose to $5 a dozen, which I will dislike paying while being grateful to get them!
  • 4 - 16 oz boxes of whole wheat saltine crackers
  • 5 lbs total of extra sharp cheddar cheese (my favorite snack! I tend to buy on sale and let them age longer. Little did I know, it also sets you up good to ride out a pandemic!)
  • 5 cans of solid white tuna
    Photo: Duluth News Tribute
  • 2 cans of Alaska wild salmon (I should've bought 5 cans!)
  • 5 cans of sardines (because I don't rush to eat them!)
  • pasta - different shapes - long spaghetti, bow tie, rigatoni
  • Oatmeal - big Quaker (1-minute cooking) cylinder + a small cylinder (5-minute cooking)
  • other whole grains - Quinoa + rice
  • cans of tomatoes + sauce
  • cans of kidney beans (for chili)
  •  2 - 16 oz bags of dried pinto beans + split peas
  • 1 - 3lb bag of cornmeal (I don't eat cornbread enough to buy a 5 lb bag.)
  • 2 L bottle of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 - lb packages of butter
  • 4 - 13 oz Chock Full o' 'Nuts Coffee
  • wine and Champagne (delish with the cheddar and crackers)
  • dark chocolate + Kraft caramels + SweatTarts
As I'm sure you will agree, Sheltering at Home has been nooo picnic, but at least I have the basics to get me through it! See you, my lovelies, during ... and on the other side!


You May Also Enjoy:
What Can You Do For Earth Day?

3 comments:

  1. Those same items have been unavailable for weeks in Australia too. Hand sanitizers are just beginning to trickle through, but many disinfectant products are still hard to obtain. I have had to use a few substitutions along the way. You did have a good pantry full to start isolation - much better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, luckily I've had the alcohol untouched for a few years in the back of my cabinet. So often stores here run buy 1 get 1 free sales, which is the reason I have the 2 -32 oz size bottles. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are items you always need, yet they normally takes a long time to use.

      I might cook and bake more than many Manhattanites do, the reason I buy basic food items in large sizes. I so dislike having to run back to the supermarket every time I turn around despite it being only 3 blocks away! I did intent to reform somewhat, but boy, who could've predicted a global pandemic causing shortages! My #1 fear isn't running out of essentials, it's the fear of clutter … the yin and yang of life! I do stop short cluttering my small apartment. Every thing must have a home. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find French home essentials We offer you to buy gourmet French food online and French products food In USA. Buy your favorite French food and products from our online shop at frenchwink.com.


    Please Visit at: https://frenchwink.com/collections/grocery-desserts-snacks



    ReplyDelete