Thursday, December 23, 2021

It's Nearly Christmas: Come Travel With Me

One of the Christmas trees at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Queen Elizabeth IIs official residence in Scotland. A painting of King Charles II looks on. For more about him go here. His father, King Charles I is the portrait on the right.

For our Christmas blog let's travel around the world, as well as, back in time a bit. On my bucket list is a return to Great Britain at Christmas time. With the numbers of the Omicron variant of COVID rising, it won't be anytime soon, so let us rely on the blog for our Christmas visits this year ...

The Royal Family's trees at Windsor Castile

How beautiful are Queen Elizabeth II's 2021 trees in Scotland and Windsor? Her Majesty's trees arrived and were decorated in early December.

On to the Middle East ...

 Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem

One day perhaps tourists will again spend Christmas where it all began in Bethlehem. Maybe this December the locals can enjoy Bethlehem even more without the usual crowds, although sadly when people stay away the commerce won't be there for the town either.

Our next stop is New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art on December 9, 2021:

All photos at the Met: Carolyn C.

Here on the Upper East Side at the Met, my friend Carolyn invited me to see the new Walt Disney exhibit with her. She had an extra ticket for its opening. I had not visited the museum in 2+ years, and her company was the shot in the arm (no pun intended😊) I needed to go again. As it turns out, you do need your COVID shots in the arm, as well as, to show a state ID and wear a mask to get inside. Glad to oblige to keep everybody safe! 

We very much enjoyed the magic of Walt Disney consisting of footage of its animated films, movie posters, and various artifacts from the productions. As I mentioned to Carolyn, I didn't see Disney's Snow White (1938) or The Sleeping Beauty (1959) movies, but as a child, I had the records of the fairytales which I played over and over again; and the recordings came with Disney illustrated books so you could turn the pages as you listened to actors reading the parts, classical music, and dramatic sound effects. I remember the book images vividly as if I'd seen the films in theaters. Beauty And The Beast (1991) I also missed in theaters ... but I've seen enough Disney clips over the years to know all 3 animated films well.

Photo: Carolyn C. of The 17th Century Christmas tree at the Met

Naturally, we had to visit the 17th Century Christmas tree the Met always sets up at Christmas in the Medieval-Byzantine-Early Modern chamber complete with a soft Gregorian chant in the background. Every year it's become a Christmas tradition to walk over to see it. Like many other activities, I missed doing so in 2020.

Our last blog stop is a spot in my apartmentYou get music in my home too.πŸ™‚

I tried to give this Nativity Scene away as I have another one but didn't find a taker, and so I'm displaying it myself this year. Hey, maybe I do need two.:) 

"Go Tell It On the Mountain" is from my favorite Christmas album of all time recorded by the Ames Brothers (1957), which I reviewed the year I began the blog here. As a young man, my father bought the vinyl album, and it played every Christmas on my parent's {Dad's stuff always became our stuffπŸ˜€} stereo during my childhood, so when I moved to Manhattan, I bought a CD of it in a record store. Thus, the tradition continues! Unfortunately, record stores are another relic of the past.

Another glance at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Scotland with Queen Elizabeth's decorating team.

I want to thank you, my lovely readers, for stopping by ... for your continued support ... and I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday in your own faith traditions. I'm happy to include you in mine by wishing you Peace, Love andJoy. 

We may be from multi-cultures and traditions, but everyone is accepted and valued on THE SAVVY SHOPPER. Here we are united as one human global family. Free to be a little bit serious and a little bit frivolous ... and spread kindness continuously. On these restricted days apart people need it!πŸ˜˜πŸ’‹

Merry Christmas Everyone!
xoxo



You may also enjoy:

5 comments:

  1. What a great blog!!! from Stuart times in England thru 33 RPM LPs. I liked Ed Ames back in the day- I am thinking he was part of Ames Brothers. Happy Holidays and keep those blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ed Ames, the actor, began his showbiz career as a singer with his big brothers. They were a family of 10 children, from a poor family of Jewish parents. He attened the Boston Latin School and took classical and operatic musical classes. The brothers won singing competitions in the Boston area then were signed to records. In the 60s Ed Ames played the Indian, Mingo to Fess Parker's Daniel Boone and they stayed lifelong friends. When I was a child, I watch reruns of Daniel Boone and didn't realize "Mingo" sang the Christmas songs on the album I knew so well. Then one day I lwas looking over the album cover and knew. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great Christmas post Debra. I remember the Ames Bros and Ed Ames on tv. We had the Disney books and records too and watched Disneyland on tv - like you I became familiar with the old Disney songs and characters. Happy memories! What a great visit to the Met and their wonderful Nativity. Two Nativities is great - I had 3 out this year plus two tiny ones on the tree 😊. Hope you had a fabulous Christmas my friend. πŸŽ„❤️πŸŽ…πŸ»πŸŽΆπŸ’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh golly, Trish, what a small world we live in! :) Both of us listening to the same records and watching the same television shows.😊

      Yes, I've decided to keep both sets of Nativity Scenes. Christmas was spent at home with Christmas music, a baked ham and sweets. It was very relaxed this year. Serveral out-of-town friends called to chat and exchange greetings too.

      Thanks my dear friend for your lovely comment which I always enjoy reading, and warm good wishes go right back at you!πŸŽ„❤️😘

      Delete