Thursday, June 1, 2023

5 Appealing But Useless Household Products

Do you ever let your emotions rule your logic when shopping? Living in a small Manhattan apartment helps me resist impulse buys ... and yet like you, I'm not immune to temptations especially when articles are cheap or appealing. Despite my better judgment, I want to think too good to believe claims are true! We're only human after all! 

Just for fun, I'll share 5 items that are always tugging on me to buy ... before my rational side wins the tug-of-war:


1) Portable and Foldable Mini Washing Machine with Dryer - First of all it's cute, as well as, practical to wash small laundry pieces like a few t-shirts or perhaps socks or undergarments when you don't have a full load. The mini washer/dryer folds to have a small footprint. But logic tells us, "Don't buy cute!" It's easy to hand wash a couple of t-shirts in a sink. The "dryer" is a spinner -- but that's what tempts me. I dislike wringing water out of clothes by hand. Then you hang dry your damp items. I resist buying the mini washer/dryer because as much as I wish otherwise, I know it's not powerful enough or big enough to effectively wash enough clothes ... but oh, how I want it to be! What's more, I keep reminding myself that using the laundry room downstairs isn't inconvenient. Logically buying extra t-shirts, socks, and undergarments is a better investment, so why am I sooo tempted by this thing?

2) Portable Turbo Washing Machine and Dishwasher - Even smaller and cheaper! My heart is fluttering just thinking about using it. Moreover, it attaches to a kitchen sink to wash a few dishes!! If only it were powerful enough to really work. Logic tells us it simply won't do a good job, and it would likely not stay attached to the sink with its motor running. I bet the cord is too short also. The heart loves it, but the head foresees frustration and disappointment with this purchase.


3) Spice Racks - Perhaps there's one out in retail land I haven't come across but so far, the spice racks I've tried take up room in my cupboard without providing more ease, organization, or consolidating space. I wish it wasn't so! Moreover, I buy big sizes of common spices like dried garlic, onion powder, dried celery, tarragon, and Herbs de Provence, etc., and I don't want to create the job of refilling small containers.

4) Pots and Pans Organizers - I love organizing everything, but this organizer would work if I only used frying pans and didn't need different sizes of pots for soups and stews. In my cupboard, the organizer would create, not solve storage problems by limiting the pot sizes I can stack in the cupboard. It sucks up valuable vertical space.

5) I experience the same disappointment with Under-the-Sink Racks - What seems like a brilliant idea, takes up vertical space to limit what I can put under my sink. Forget about a periodic gallon of paint (which is seldom but, hey, once in a while it's necessary), or gallon sizes of bleach, ammonia, white vinegar, or laundry detergents for cleaning.  Like for a spice rack,  you're forced to buy small quantities of supplies for an under-the-sink rack to work. Under the sink is also where I keep a few household tools like a hammer and screwdrivers. Do you see anywhere in the image where you can store tools?

What appealing but useless household products do you covet? Admit it, you want the mini washer/dryer too, don't you.😉



You may also enjoy:

3 comments:

  1. Was reorganizing my basement, getting set up for some new electronics (radio related "toys") that I will be putting on a big work-table. Getting rid of quite a bit of stuff (mainly paper and cardboard type stuff that I use for mounting artwork, so it's all recyclable), but I found a bunch of "in box" stackable plastic trays buried under all the junk. I would say that my "issue" with these trays (a good idea at the time, it seemed, when I bought them- I don't know how many years ago) is along the lines of yours with the racks for spices, or for pots and pans. There are categories of paperwork, related to the new "toys", that I might want to put in the trays, but their dimensions vary and I like to have a broader view. So I may want to use open top type baskets instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more- I was doing some vacuuming today at a different place I go to sometimes- the vacuum is a Sears Kenmore (nostalgic!!!) - bought by a long-gone family member maybe in the 1980s. It has a retractable electric cord. What a useless feature- it seems cool, step on a pedal and the cord is supposed to retract. Surprise, surprise, it does not. I much prefer the Dyson where you can just wrap the electric cord easily around the unit's handle. It's tidy and neat- perhaps not as slick, but it works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know, Barry.

    ReplyDelete