Friday, June 23, 2023

I Want to Love Matcha

Photo: New York Times Magazine
I drink a fair amount of coffee (about 24 ounces) in the morning, but then try to switch to water and other beverages throughout the day.

Yes, I like the cherry, raspberry, watermelon, or peach flavored carbonated drinks, however, stocking them isn't as convenient or cost-effective as I'd like. Drinking 2 cans of these carbonated drinks per day really adds up! In the summer I find stevia-sweetened black iced tea super refreshing as well as inexpensive; and in the fall and winter I'll sip hot teas (black, oolong, white, or tisane) with or without milk, but frankly, I don't relish tea as much as coffee.

I also bought a lot of Matcha tea right before the pandemic as it gets plenty of press for its health benefits.

I think of Matcha as the expresso of green tea -- but green tea is my least favorite tea to drink. Frankly both green and Matcha tea taste like downing dried ground-up grass to my palette.

Despite my dislike of Matcha tea, it has several known health benefits, such as containing polyphenol antioxidants. It has L-theanine which reduces anxiety, and it boosts energy without the crash of coffee.

So there are many good reasons to drink Matcha ... if only the tea was as delicious as coffee.

I continue to try to develop a taste for the expresso of green tea. I wonder if it is possible without adding a ton of unhealthy ingredients to it? Here's a recipe for a Matcha Latte, without an overload of bad ingredients, but I bet it isn't nearly as tasty as a Mocha Latte.😁

Hmm, once my supply of Matcha powder is depleted, will I rebuy it? Life is too short and there are plenty of other tasty beverages to drink. I suppose I'll just stick to my tried and true summer beverage of choice ... iced (black) tea.


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment