Friday, August 11, 2023

Is Your Prime Membership A Waste Of Money?

Photo: Getty Images

Amazon rocks. I love it! Frequently the prices of goods are the same or better than at brick-and-mortar stores. At times stores lacking an item will direct me to Amazon, which ends up having it. Convenience is a given with purchases arriving at my door. Also, packages stuffed in the mailbox or left at the door can feel like gifts. Shopping on Amazon is addicting! And yet, after a couple of trials, I decided not to buy the $139 Prime Membership.

I think a Prime Membership is worth the cost if you: (1) order a lot of stuff; (2) live in a building where packages left in a common area get stolen; (3) need fast delivery, including same-day (with a $35 order), and 1 or 2-day delivery; or (4) use the other perks of the membership: Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Photos, Prime Gaming and/or buy things marked down on Amazon Prime Day, Prime Early Access Sales or the Lightening Deals. Clearly, Prime Membership adds value non-members don't have.

Photo: Business Insider
But I found I didn't use any of these benefits with a 30-day trial, In fact, the items I ordered during my 30-day trial were excluded from the 1 or 2-day delivery and it still took a week or over for them to arrive. But it was ok with me. Almost always, I can handle the wait. I tend to be a planner, as opposed to, a last-minute shopper, and I also worry about Amazon workers who might have to kill themselves to rush items to customers because it's the business model. 
Let's remember human beings work in fulfillment centers (warehouses) to get our packages to us!

What's more, all orders $25 or more give you free shipping, and usually it's not a hardship for me to wait a beat until I bundle articles to reach $25. If your circumstances require you to order a ton of under $25 items monthly, then you'll save on shipping by paying for an Amazon Prime Membership at $139 per year (or $14.99 per month), and as a bonus, you'll enjoy all the Amazon Prime Member benefits. A bargain if you often order to run a business. You would spend more than $11.58 each month ($11.58 x 12 = $139) on shipping without a membership.

I adored binge-watching a season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with my free trial membership, but frankly, there's not enough original content to make a Prime Membership worthwhile for Prime Video alone. Amazon offers Prime Video solo for $8.99 monthly or $107.88 a year, but IMHO you'll likely save by streaming your shows of interest.

Nonetheless, I need to jump back to emphasize how much I love Amazon! 

Photo: Business Insider
I advise anyone to check Amazon first before ordering a wheelchair, a senior shower bench, a safety bed rail, or anything you'd buy from a medical supply store as they're always far less on Amazon. Anything and everything is less on Amazon if you need it when a seller is listing it at a great price. Always worth a look!

Despite not having a Prime Membership, an Amazon customer rep called me a good customer since I buy a fair amount. Still, I never feel pressure or am tempted to order unnecessary things to justify annually spending $139 on a Prime Membership or because Lightening Deals are too good to pass up.

For some buyers, additional free shipping can lead to additional impulse buys. Make sure you don't overconsume to validate a membership for Amazon Prime, Walmart Plus, Costco Executive/Gold Star, or Sam's Club as it's not saving you money but costing you more than you'd normally spend. It's easy to do if we're not mindful. 

Finally, cancel any unused subscriptions and services that are costing you and not saving you money.




You may also enjoy:

2 comments:

  1. I also decided not to buy the Amazon membership, although one of my sons has it, as they buy a lot of stuff. For myself, although I check them at times, I only buy maybe once or twice a year, so pay the shipping if needed. I actually enjoy going to the Mall to look and see before I buy, and can work it into my schedule. It is different for those in fulltime working jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to go to the shops and department stores to see and touch stuff too to avoid ordering mistakes.

      Delete