Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Marinated Black Olives


Photo: istock

Why olives come in such small quantities like a 6-ounce jar is a mystery to me, so a few years ago I started buying 4-pack cans of olives from Walmart and marinated them myself.

 It's easy-peasy and economical as well. Plus you can experiment with different herbs and spices. The batch I'm eating now has only a few spices, and it is delicious:

Marinated Black Olives

Ingredients:

4-6 ounce cans of black olives
vinegar of choice (I used Cabernet Red Wine Vinegar.)
salt (I used Sicilian Basil Salt that I had in my cupboard.)
pepper (I used a saltless Cajun mix I made previously. It has red pepper flakes in it.)
garlic (I used dried and lots of it.)
Herbs de Provence
bay leaves (I used dry ground bay leaves, but have used whole bay leaves in the past.)

Directions:

I opened the 4 cans and tossed the olives with some of the liquid into a large jar.

This time around I didn't measure my spices or vinegar, but added some and tasted the liquid that came with the olives in the can then added more of the vinegar and spices to taste. I made sure the liquid covered the olives and discarded the surplus liquid. I omitted extra virgin olive oil, but by all means, add olive oil to the batch if you wish.

Eat several and store the batch in the refrigerator to marinate overnight ... and until you finish the batch. 

Cheap. plentiful and tasty! A puny 6-ounce jar of olives is a thing of the past. Nowadays we eat as many olives as we wish!

4 comments:

  1. I love olives! The canned option looks like great value; but I have never seen that here. They all come in jars. Your recipe is really interesting, as I have not heard of doing this with them. Time for some experimenting for this little non-cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, Trish. if you come up with a good combination of flavors feel free to post your recipe on your wonderful blog. I'm on my way over to The Red Cardinal and am smiling that you're back blogging and sharing you're thoughts on what I write about over here! Yay, yay, yay! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a clever idea! I've always wondered why olives come in such tiny jars too. Your DIY marinated olives sound delicious, and I love that you can customize the flavors. Can't wait to try this cost-effective solution to my olive cravings. Thanks for sharing!
    herbalhillswellness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm so pleased you're here, Ayurvedic Product Manufacturers. Thanks so much for commenting! I love hearing what folks who read a blog think.

      Delete