Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Lookalike Style: Valentino Rock Stud Shoes And Chanel Classic Flap Bag

Sooo. I avoid knowingly writing blogs that infringe upon a brand's copyright because it's wrong and illegal to buy such goods (a/k/a replicas). That said, designer inspired goods (a/k/a dupes) are fine as they don't steal a manufacturer name, nor use their label. Lookalikes are sold openly, not in a back room. They may not include every tiny detail of the authentic article, but are close-enough-for-less to achieve the look. Personally, I will buy an inexpensive imitation as long as there is transparency: it doesn't pass itself off as real, or slap the designer's name on the product. Moreover, when someone admires it, I tell them it's a copycat. Why pretend otherwise?

Here's a short article on US copyright laws here to grasp what practices the fashion industry allows.
Angie, friend of THE SAVVY SHOPPER, has long desired a pair of Valentino Rock Stud shoes, but not enough to pay the full retail price of $995 - $1095. My nearby TJ Maxx gets them sometimes for $700, but not at Angie's local TJ Maxx. Sooo! I decided to find a spectacular leather Valentino Rockstud inspired shoe for Ang. IMO, leather shoes are a must. Not so with a handbag, but in a shoe, leather's ability to breathe and give is vital.

I think I succeeded! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘  Drum roll please๐ŸŽถ:

The doppelgรคnger is Kaitlyn Pan RockStud - This shoe's name is clearly on the label of the shoes, which come in a wide assortment of colors and styles in both heels and flats.


๐Ÿ‘›๐Ÿ‘œ๐Ÿ‘›๐Ÿ‘œ๐Ÿ‘›
One day, I may buy a Chanel inspired Classic Flap bag. The iconic bag was the very first pocketbook ever designed ... in an era when women carried clutch bags. The always practical and stylish Coco Chanel conceived of a purse for women to carry, leaving their hands free. So she created a chain attrachment resembling a piece of jewelry to be draped over a shoulder. 

The Chanel Classic Flap is the best selling designer bag in the world. Despite its beauty and versatility, I can't justify spending $5,900+ on a real one. Wow!
Going Chanel inspired lessens the pain abundantly! Here's a suitable leather lookalike for oodles less. Not a dead ringer, as you can see, not the same chain and no logo. No one would mistake it for a geniune Chanel, but quite nice! It has the vibe! It comes in large (Chanel's jumbo) or ex-large (Chanel's maxi). (Update: Now you must google the seller's name and/or "Chanel inspired" to buy the bag. It is no longer sold on Amazon.)

Note that since 2010, Karl Lagerfeld, the head creative director of Chanel added another inside flap to the bag (so it is at times called the Chanel Double Flap bag). If to save money, you buy a used Chanel Classic Flap bag made before 2010, it will only have a single flap. This inspired Chanel Flap bag copied by manufacturer Ainifeel has the double flaps.

Here are other Chanel inspired bags for less by none other than Karl Lagerfeld sold under his own name. The stock is ever changing.


The double flap holds the shape of the bag longer, while a single flap bag offers more storage room inside the purse. 

BTW, if buying a spanking new $5,900 bag, I'd buy the Jumbo Caviar Double Flap bag in black. IMO, the bag is lovelier in the alternate lambskin offering though it starches easily. Perhaps, not an issue for people with deep pockets.๐Ÿ™‚

I like the inspired bag, but do I really want it? Hmm. Handbags are not my tempation trigger. So I'm still deciding. Meanwhile, here is the $29 purse I use, rain or shine ... in other words mindlessly.

Do you have a Chanel designer, or a Chanel inspired bag? What is your favorite designer bag of all?

Update: New Chanel prices as of July 2021:



You may also enjoy:
NARS Orgasm Dupes

7 comments:

  1. If I was much, much younger, I'd want a pair of rock stud shoes too. However, my daughter in law wears them, so it's in the family. Meantime, have always wanted a Chanel bag, and you have me interested here. Amazon stores are new to Australia and I have not tried them yet as there have been some complaints. Not sure if this link would get me the bag here, but I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What color does your daughter-in-law wear, Trish? Last week my local TJ Maxx got a good supply of them in, so I had fun trying them on and walking the floor looking in a mirror. I didn't want them bad enough to pay the discounted price of $700, but if I did, I'd buy the black with black strape as it shows off the studs and looks great around the ankle of light skin. Darker skin might like the beige. The contrast of light and dark looks gooood!

      Once Amazon is established in Australia, you will love how it makes more sellers and products available to you. I link Amazon up when I write about topics as a research tool, as well as, to give my readers an idea of price (the price however can change as sellers come aboard or drop off from selling a featured item). I find myself turning to Amazon to buy different things, so I'm shopping more online than in the past. Often at a nice price!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Debbie,
    The Rock Stud Shoes are not at all my thing... But it is amazing indeed how many copy cats that are on the market at this time and age! It used to be rather strict when I studied fashion in the late 60s.
    Those prices are ridiculous for a real CC bag. Guess I'm very lucky that I have a few from the 80s and some bought at tax-free shoppes - that helped! Once I got a $ 1,000 TIP and I've splurged right away on the iconic Chanel black boots with the coin-logo on the side. They were in the 900s. Never in my mind would I have bought them otherwise. Also I do own some CC shoes, not such crazy heels though. They were a treasure find at Last Call Outlet for $ 139 and fit like a glove. I've added a non-skid sole to prolong their life expectancy and they're for LIFE. As for handbags, as much as I used to accessorize with the proper one, matching my suits or dress, more and more I started back packs from leather. Age and health is changing us and we become more practical! I'm holding on to my CC bags as they seem to be worth so much more than I've paid for at the time. Keeping them inside their special bag, they look like new.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    PS when I travel, no leather bags, only my lightweight black Kipling (made in Belgium) bag from the Outlet at Woodbury Common, NY... That's how I boarded the Rocky Mountaineer and checked in at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. How timely was your informative post about Princess Louise. Will blog about our BEST trip ever, later and will connect it to your post for a very good reason. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting you're going on a trip that will connect you with Great Britain's Princess Louise. Louise's husband, John Campbell, called "Lorne" was an actitve and successful Governor Gerneral. Among other things, they championed opportunities for the educaton of women and the Canadian arts.

      Yes today knockoffs are more accepted by the big names in the fashion industry. So much of fast fashion - Zara, H&M and Century 21, Target - thrives on immitation, sometimes in collaboration with big designers. If you can't beat them, join them! I rather doubt that Chanel or Hermes (bags cost $14,000 and up, lose a sell when a woman buys a $25 inspired bag, and I think companies know this. The women who will spend $1000s on a purse want a Chanel or a Hermes bag and can afford it, so they will buy it. BTW, they have great resell value, because women will pay a high price for the used in good condition bags. So they get resold often.

      Delete
    2. Debbie, I wrote above that is how I boarded the Rocky Mountaineer as we have already completed that journey! ๐Ÿ’—

      Delete
    3. Oh my mistake! I hope to visit Canada at some point in my life! So close and yet so far, here in Manhattan! :)

      Delete