Thursday, September 2, 2021

Eating A Plantain


From time to time, I bet every home cook gets tired of his/her own cooking. That's when I'm open to trying a new food or dish. New York is such a mish-mash of cultures I really love it! This week I received two plantains, a staple in African, Asian, and Latin American cuisine. 

To tell you how unfamiliar I am with this fruit, during my 1st year in Manhattan I bought one by mistake, thinking it was a large, oddly shaped banana. It took longer to ripen, was harder to peel, and tasted raw ... after I waited a long time for it to soften, then bit into it. Because. It was raw, and I didn't know I was supposed to cook it!πŸ˜‚

So flash forward to our present day. Lucky me, I got not one, but 2 plantains. One was yellow, the other green. 

So this time around, I knew the plantains had to be cooked, but I still didn't know how best to do it. Well ... that's what Google is for ... to tell me how!

Photo: AllRecipes

The yellow one I sliced and grilled both sides in a 12" skillet brushed with extra virgin olive oil on a stovetop. I could have sprinkled it with sugar and cinnamon; instead, I kept it plain and ate it with leftover cauliflower, lima beans, and carrots. Not bad in lieu of potatoes or rice. Good in taste and texture. Yep, I'll eat it again.

Now I must figure out how to eat the 2nd green plantain. If sliced thin with a mandoline, I could bake it into plantain chips seasoned with salt, dried garlic, and red pepper flakes. Or if I wait too long and it begins to soften, as I understand it, plantains can be mashed like potatoes, or not dilly-dally and use it green to thicken soups or stews. It's a brand new plantain world in the Turner household! The spicy plantain crispy baked chips are tempting!

Photo: BigOven

As it turns out, plantains are a complex, starch-resistant carbohydrate that keeps your glucose index (blood sugar) in a healthy range.

They are rich in iron, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin A, and the B vitamins, as well as, fiber. Plantains naturally contain beneficial plant compounds, such as polyphenols and flavonoids (which act as antioxidants) to help fight free radicals that otherwise damage the bodyEating plantains also lowers blood pressure, reduces constipation, and prevents iron deficiency anemia. The green plantains are low in sugar. As they ripen and turn yellow, plantains get softer and sweeter but stay mild in flavor. You can use ripe plantains like bananas in baking but they don't taste like bananas although they are in the same genus Musa family. 


The word "plantain" indicates the fruit is a cooking banana. In other words, the name, "plantain," itself means fruit that must be cooked. Oh, right, NOW you tell me! Not when I needed to know as a young, innocent transplant to New York City. Thanks, universe.πŸ™‚


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment