Friday, April 12, 2024

A Sugarless Chocolate Milkshake

Photo: Unsplash
I've been making some version of a chocolate milkshake for years. If consumed as a quick meal, I'll toss a scoop of whey chocolate protein powder into a cup of skim milk with ice and drink it. 

Today let's make a healthy, thick chocolate milkshake as a snack. It has the protein of milk and potassium of a banana but for a meal, I need additional whey protein. 

Ideally, a healthy snack should be 100 to 200 calories and not more. The banana gives the milkshake its thickness, but the unsweetened cocoa powder will dominate its flavor. Here's the recipe:

Healthy Thick Chocolate Milkshake

Ingredients:

1 - 1 1/2 cups skim milk - Start with 1 cup and test the thickness. If you think ahead to use frozen banana slices, you'll need the extra milk.
2 tablespoons of cacao powder, or dark cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 large banana If you want to slice and freeze your banana ahead of time, you can skip the ice cubes. But who always thinks ahead when you crave a snack?
4 ice cubes

Directions:

Toss the milk, cocoa powder, banana, and ice cubes into a
blender and mix until you get a rich, thick, and delicious milkshake. At this step, you can add the extra 1/2 of milk if the shake is too thick. Pour into a tall glass. If you need to gain weight lucky you, you can garnish with extras like nuts, seeds, chocolate shavings, or whipped cream. I drink my milkshake as is. It's still tasty!

Yes, you can make this milkshake with oat milk, almond milk, or soy milk. My favorite is cow's milk, which has 8 grams of protein per cup.  

Skim milk is 90 calories per cup, the banana is about 100 calories (usually I use a medium banana so 70 calories) and the cocoa powder is 50 calories, so our milkshake is over 200 calories but not by a significant amount, and they aren't empty calories. Personally, I'm mindful, yet not obsessive when counting calories. My aim is to stay in the ballpark. When hungry, I consider vegetables, fruit, or skim milk -- free food, never fretting over the few extra calories they contain. 

Enjoy!


You may also enjoy:

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good, yummy and healthy- far fewer calories than fruit smoothies that come out of my blender (Hamilton Beach- though made in China these days rather than in Wisconsin). I use bananas to complement the other fruits- and, yes, they add some thickness. You have some good ideas in here- including the whipped cream !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit smoothies are healthy and tasty too! I wouldn't turn one down. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes that blender comment was from me (you probably guessed that)- forgot to add my name and it came up as "Anonymous"

      Delete
    3. Guess what, Barry, I didn't know Anon was you! Too bad we live in different parts of New York, or I could mossey on over for block party/neighborhood smoothies.

      Delete