Friday, March 17, 2023

Fat-Free Hot Zesty Cheerios

I won't lie. The above bags of salty savory snacks are what I crave. I eat them 10% of the time. I want them 100% of the time. 
I'm addicted, and sometimes I need a hit. I want to eat them daily, nightly, and not in moderation! 

Sooooo I'm trying to find other healthier, fat-free, savory snacks to take the edge off ... and to eat the other 90% of the time when I don't let myself eat Cheetos or Doritos. Here's what I'm trying now ... you make the snack yourself, but it's mostly seasoning:

Fat-Free Hot and Zesty Cheerios

Ingredients:

1 egg white
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 cups Cheerios (multi-grain or oat)

Directions:

1) Whisk the egg white into peaks. Mix in the spices and next add and coat the cheerios with the egg white mixture.

2) Transfer the spiced cheerios onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil sprayed with cooking oil.

3) Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 10 - 20 minutes. Check for doneness after 10 minutes.

Cool and eat.

Again I won't lie. Zesty Cheerios are not as addicting as Crunchy Cheetos or Nacho Doritos, but they are crunchy, zesty, and tasty. They'd also be delicious if made with butter. I like the hot spicy snack very much as a healthy alternative. 

Additionally in the recipe, you can substitute other unsweetened cereal such as Chex, or mini shredded wheat, plus add salted nuts or popcorn to make a party mix, as well as, experiment with the flavor by adding Worcestershire sauce or Parmesan or dried cheddar cheese (the one in a shaker you buy for popcorn). Creole seasoning or a dried Italian spice blend works too. Another idea is to mix the fat-free homemade snack with a bag of Cheetos and Doritos to at least cut your calories in half ... but that may be the addict talking.😁


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment