Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Homemade Antiseptic Cream

Photo: notrashproject.com
If I need to clean a cut or scrape, I usually saturate a cotton ball with some rubbing alcohol, or tea tree oil and apply it directly to the wound. Than again, if it's just a small cut, I might simply wash the area with soap and water and leave it at that. All three solutions kill germs to keep the open skin from getting infected.

If I stay home I leave the wound uncovered, but if I'm out and about touching public doors and subway poles, I wear a Band-Aid. (BTW: I don't bother buying Band-Aids decorated with cartoon characters for children. I mean, if you don't start, nobody will expect it. I buy a box of 100 flexible fabric Band-Aids and a box of 100 flexible non-fabric bandages that can get wet. All sizes, everybody is covered. No reason to run back to the store anytime soon.)


It's been a while since I've nursed a boo boo worth mentioning 
for either myself, or a family member. If you have young children, treating mishaps is a way of life until they are grown. On such occasions, here's a fantastic homemade antiseptic cream. Relatively cheap to make, it has a shelf life of up to 5 years. Here's what goes into it:


Homemade Antiseptic Cream 


Ingredients:


3 tablespoons beeswax, grated

1 cup of coconut oil (or olive oil)
1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
Add drops of your favorite essential oils -- I like ...
20 drops of tea tree oil
15 drops of lavender oil (or Camimille oil)
10 drops of lemon oil (or 1 tablespoon of witch hazel can be substituted.)

Directions:


1. Drop the grated beeswax and coconut (or olive) oil into a sauce pan and melt over a very low heat. Stir together.


2. Remove from the heat. Add the vitamin E, tea tree oil, lavender oil and lemon oil. Mix well.


3. Pour into a small sterilized jar with a secure lid.


4. Keep in a dark, cool place.


Coconut oil makes a lovely base with a creamy consistency, but olive oil works too.


The essential oils in the cream kill germs and help heal wounds. All essential oils are anti-bacterial and anti-fugal, so you can usually substitute your favorite scent. Reportedly, lavender essential oil has the benefit of dulling pain. Vitamin E oil is thought to prevent scaring. Witch hazel soothes the skin.


Nature's medicine. Treat abrasions as needed. And of course, serious cuts, burns and animal bites should be examined by a doctor.


You may also enjoy:
Puritan's Pride Favorites
Best Oils For Face, Body And Hair
DIY Lip Balm: Is It Worth The Cost?
Essential Oils Are A Household ... wait for it ... Essential 

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating recipe, Debra. I always imagined antiseptic creams had some magic ingredient which killed the germs - well, who knew the magic comes from lovely familiar things like lavender, lemon and tea tree! I will look differently at what I buy now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, when I was a kid, we used mostly idodine. I don't see that in modern medicine cabinets anymore. Not sure why? It did sting a little bit, so perhaps there are just anticeptics today without the sting.

      I was intoduced to tea tree oil when I took some pilates classes. We always strayed down our mats after the classes with a tea tree and water solution. Then I discovered it can be used directly on abrasions.

      Delete
  2. Very helpful article!! Women are always concerned about their nails. I give my nails a makeover with Sakare's nail treatments and am very satisfied with the results.

    ReplyDelete